Art

 Friend
Promovouchers UK
http://www.promovouchers.co.uk/
 Popular Gallery
 Maps
 Help development
 Art

Vasily Dmitrievich Polenov (18441927)  The Teremnoy Palace, 1877  Oil on canvas  3423 cm  The Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, Russia
Goback 37 / 59 Forward

Title: The Teremnoy Palace
Description:
Vasily Dmitrievich Polenov (18441927)
The Teremnoy Palace, 1877
Oil on canvas
3423 cm
The Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, Russia

Terem Palace or Teremnoy Palace (Russian: ) of the Moscow Kremlin used to be the main residence of the Russian tsars in the 17th century. Its name is derived from the Greek word τερεμνον (i.e., "dwelling"). Currently, the structure is not accessible to the public, as it belongs to the official residence of the President of Russia.

It was at the turn of the 16th century that Aloisio the New constructed the first royal palace on the spot. Only the ground floor survives from that structure, as the first Romanov tsar, Mikhail Feodorovich, had the palace completely rebuilt in 1635-36. The new structure was surrounded by numerous annexes and outbuildings, including the Boyar Platform, Golden Staircase, Golden Porch, and several turrets. On Mikhail's behest, the adjoining Golden Tsaritsa's Chamber, constructed back in the 1560s for Ivan IV's wife, was surmounted with 11 golden domes of the Upper Saviour Cathedral. The complex of the palace also incorporates several churches of earlier construction, including the Church of the Virgin's Nativity from the 1360s.



T
he first stone quarters in the Tsars palace later named the Terem palace were built in 1635-1636 for the Tsar Mikhael Fyodorovich by masters Bazhen Ogurtsov (Cucumber), Antip Konstantinov, Trefil Sharutin and Larion Ushakov. The base for the new

three-storey chambers was the lower tier of the palaces northern part built in 1499-1508 by Aleviz Novy and the Masters Chambers built over it in the second part of the XVI century.







Traditional features of Russian wooden architecture caused the buildings stepped construction. Nonetheless, it was a new type of a multi-storey brick house, there was already forming enfilade structure of inner rooms.

The picturesque and pompous palace interiors appeared because of complex layout and rich decoration of its faades. Everything blends in nicely: polychrome colouring of walls and white-stone details restored while Terems restoration in 1966-1969. The Palace leaves an impression of a precious jewelry creation.
Original interiors, except separate fragments, have not survived. They were created anew in the XVIIth century style under the supervision of artist F.G Solntsev in 1836-1837, while restoration of an ancient monument. During the construction of the Grand Kremlin Palace, the Terem Palace was included to the new complex of palatial buildings.Nowadays, the Terem Palace as a part of the Grand Kremlin Palaces complex belongs to the residence of the President of the Russian Federation.

Hits: 2814
Direct Link
HTML code
BB code
Goback 37 / 59 Forward
Vasily Dmitrievich Polenov (18441927)  They Brought the Children, 1890-1900-s   Oil on canvas  Samara Art Museum, RussiaVasily Dmitrievich Polenov (18441927)  The Teremnoy Palace, 1877  Oil on canvas  3423 cm  The Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, RussiaVasily Dmitrievich Polenov (18441927)  The Uspensky Cathedral. South Gates, 1877  Oil on canvas  4028 cm  The Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, Russia
 Welcome in Gallery

We are proud to say we are one of the largest and most comprehensive online collections. On our pages you will find over 10,000 works of art. We are dedicated to bringing you quality information about artists and their artwork all around the world.

2018 All right reserved Web Gallery